Digital vs Real Books: which are better for children
I am a lover of technology and new inventions to help make our lives easier and more efficient. I know I spend a lot of time online but I still think real physical books are the best way for children to learn to read. Actually touching the book and running their finger under the words lets children have a physical relationship with the book they are reading. Books don't need internet or power to read. They have no distractions like computers or iPads do such as games, music or ads. You can take them everywhere: the beach, a tree fort or your bedroom to immerse into a story.
I believe children should have their computer and iPad use limited until they achieve a good level of reading. Playing games and scrolling the internet can make your attention span become reduced. Children who have lower tech time and higher reading time usually do better in school. They get lots of tech time at school as well so having too much screen time can cause eye strain and reduce reading stamina. Parents can allow more tech time as children get older and are reading well. Using technology is not going away and can help children with learning but a balance needs to be maintained.
Parents need to be the leaders in this endeavour by limiting screen time and making reading a priority. Doing other things to encourage learning without technology can help break the addiction we have to technology such as playing board games, being outdoors, doing puzzles or listening to music. These are all helpful developing learning in young brains. If you want your children to be a good reader, limit screen time and encourage reading in your home.
Comments
Post a Comment